Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I am an undercover monk

In early january upon my return from Italy I was invited to partake in a seminar on my friend's island, located on the Potomac River opposite of Old Angler's Inn. I spent a solid three day weekend there discussing how to preserve an individual philosophy in a world of perverse intrusiveness. The head of the seminar, Ed Binns, was an educated man who started this group of Urban Coyotes, as he likes to call them, so that we would be encouraged to consider this damn important question.

It just so happens that I am pretty stubborn in my religious beliefs and he just as stubborn in his areligoius beliefs, so arguing with him was lots of fun. It seems, ironically, that taking a break from society brings you only closer to your fellow man. Anyhow I won't bore you kiddies with my old geezer stories (and by kiddies I mean Jonathan Brodsky), but I will be posting a few 'corporate parables' which Ed shared with us.

Corporate Lesson #1:
A man is getting into the shower just as his wife is
finishing up her shower when the doorbell rings.
After a few seconds of arguing over which one should
go and answer the doorbell, the wife gives up, quickly
wraps herself up in a towel, and runs downstairs.
When she opens the door, there stands Bob, the
next-door neighbor. Before she could say a word, Bob
says, "I'll give you $800 to drop that towel that you
have on." After thinking for a moment, the woman
drops her towel and stands totally naked in front of
Bob. After a few seconds, Bob hands her 800 dollars
and leaves.

Confused, but excited about her good fortune, the
woman wraps back up in the towel and goes back
upstairs. When she gets back to the bathroom, her
husband asks from the shower, "Who was that?? "It was
Bob the next door neighbor," she replies.

"Great!" the husband says, "Did he give you the $800
he borrowed from me?"

Moral of the story: If you share critical information
pertaining to credit and risk with your shareholders
in time, you may be in a position to prevent avoidable
exposure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home